- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Italians Make Late Approach For Arsenal Midfielder Francis Coquelin
According to reports in Italy, Napoli have made a last ditch approach to try and sign Francis Coquelin but Arsenal knocked them back.
Coquelin is in the final six months of his contract so is free to hold talks with foreign clubs about a free transfer move at the end of the season.
But Sky Italia journalist Gianluca Di Marzio is claiming that Napoli wanted to take the French midfielder to Italy this month and sporting director Riccardo Bigon supposedly made contact with Arsenal today to try and do a late deal.
However, thankfully we turned down their advances and Di Marzio says we made it clear to Rafa Benitez’s side that Coquelin is set to sign a new deal to keep him at the Emirates.
It would have been a huge mistake to cash-in on the 23-year-old or allow him to leave this month as he’s become an important part of our midfield since returning from his loan at Charlton.
The sooner we can get Coquelin tied-down to an extension the better as he now has the opportunity to stake a real claim to be our holding midfielder over the long-term if he continues to impress during the second half of the campaign.
He’s already way ahead of Flamini and with Arteta out injured for the foreseeable future, Coquelin is likely to get an extended run in the first team and I hope he makes the DM role his own.