- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Arsenal Linked With Shock Double Swoop – Report
Arsenal are being tipped to make a surprise double swoop for defensive duo Joao Pereira and Adil Rami before the transfer window closes.
We’re still awaiting official confirmation of Gabriel Paulista’s signing from Villarreal, with the Brazilian understood to have been granted a work permit after he passed his medical on Monday.
Understandably, many fans assumed that would be us finished with defensive signings. However, the Daily Star claim that Arsene Wenger is looking to bring in TWO more defenders before the window closes on Monday night.
The newspaper believes that Arsene is keen on signing right-back Joao Pereira and is lining-up a late swoop for the Portuguese defender.
The 30-year-old has been told he’s free to leave Valencia after losing his place in the side, so he wouldn’t cost us a transfer fee.
In many ways, it would make sense to sign Pereira on a six month deal as he’d give us an experienced alternative to Bellerin and Chambers while Debuchy is on the sidelines.
However, I’d seriously question the logic of bringing him in on a long-term contract as Debuchy will be back in April and Bellerin is developing into a fine full-back.
The second player the Star claims we want is AC Milan centre-back Adil Rami. The 29-year-old was linked with Arsenal before he joined Milan a year ago and the paper claims we’ve now renewed our interest.
Despite Milan’s struggles this season, Rami has done reasonably well, so it’s a surprise to read that the Italians are willing to sell for £6m.
Either way, I would be hugely shocked if Arsene brought in another central defender in addition to Gabriel. If we signed Pereira on a short-term deal we’d have plenty of depth at the back:
Right-back: Pereira, Bellerin.
Centre-backs: Per, Kos, Chambers, Gabriel.
Left-back: Gibbs, Monreal.
That’s what you call balance and depth, so there’s no need for Rami. Even if we didn’t sign Pereira, you could argue that we still have enough cover on the right to last until Debuchy returns.
So I won’t be holding my breath on Rami arriving and I personally don’t think we’ll sign Pereira either – but I’d be pleasantly surprised if we did bring the Portuguese international in on a short-term deal.