- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
Arsenal ‘Make Offer’ To €25m Midfielder, Player Wants Move
According to reports in Spain, Arsenal have put forward an offer to sign out-of-favour midfielder Asier Illarramendi and the player is believed to be keen on the move.
Illarramendi moved to the Bernabeu from Real Sociedad in a £24m deal in 2013 but has failed to establish himself under Carlo Ancelotti.
The 24-year-old has made just 12 appearances all season, with just 3 of them coming from the start, and he was once again named among the subs for today 2-1 win over Cordoba.
With Madrid announcing the signing of defensive midfielder Lucas Silva yesterday, it’s thought Illarramendi has been made available for transfer and it seems Arsenal are surprisingly in the running for his signature.
According to Marca, we’ve already been in talks and put forward an offer to sign the midfielder at the end of the season but are yet to come to an agreement with Madrid – who are looking to recoup the majority of the £24m they paid 18 months ago.
We’re not the only club in the running as Athletic Bilbao have tabled a €25m (£19m) bid, which is likely to be accepted by Madrid, but crucially, Marca claim that Illarramendi has no interest in joining the fellow La Liga side as he favour a switch to Arsenal.
The newspaper suggests that Madrid won’t make life difficult for Illarramendi if he makes it clear he wants to move to North London, even if our offer is less than that of Bilbao’s, so we could have a real chance of signing the Spaniard at the end of the season.
I’m a fan of the player but I would question whether he’s exactly the type of midfielder we need right now. He’s a deep-lying playmaker, so could be an excellent replacement for Mikel Arteta, but he’s certainly not the physical, athletic defensive midfielder I think we need.
Having a pass-master like Arteta in front of the defence is fine when we have the ball but we need to replace him with a ‘destroyer’ to break up play when we don’t have the ball, and I’m not convinced llarramendi is the man for the job.
He’d be great alongside a big beast of a midfielder, but we have the likes of Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla and now Ozil to fit into the team, so if we’re going to spend over £15m on another midfielder then I’d prefer we go for a different type of player.