- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal Open Talks With Spaniard’s Over Double Swoop – Report
According to reports, Arsenal are in talks with Valencia over a potential double deal for defensive pair Joao Pereira and Jose Luis Gaya.
Arsene Wenger has confirmed he’s looking to bring ‘one or two’ in this month with defence a particular area of concerns following an injury to Debuchy.
Several names have been linked with a move to the Emirates in recent weeks and the latest are Valencia duo Pereira and Gaya.
The Express claim that we’re already in talks with the Spanish club over a potential double swoop for the defensive duo.
Pereira is a right-back whose out of contract in the summer and it’s understood that Arsenal chiefs believe we can pick him up for next to nothing this month.
Valencia sporting director Francisco Rufete recently admitted that the Portuguese international could leave as soon as January:
“Will he (Pereira) leave in January? It’s a possibility.
“Will he leave for free in June? Possibly. Certainly. There is no other possibility.”
The 30-year-old would offer a cheap and experienced option to compete with Hector Bellerin and Calum Chambers for the right-back role while Debuchy is on the sidelines.
Arsene is also reportedly keen on Gaya, whose a highly-rated left-back, but it sounds like it’s going to be a lot harder to land him.
The 19-year-old has burst on to the scene this season and has already made 22 appearances for Valencia in all competitions.
The La Liga club are therefore desperate to keep hold of him and the Express claims they’ve told us they won’t let him go unless his €20m (£15m) buy-out clause if met.
It’s unlikely we’ll pay that for the player, so I personally don’t see anything coming of the situation with Gaya, but Pereira could be a decent short-term option at right-back.