- Preview: Sunderland v Arsenal, duo ruled out, Ox starts + prediction
- Team News: Wenger on Walcott, Monreal, Cazorla, Ramsey & more
- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
Arsenal Step-Up Interest In World Cup Star – Reports
According to reports, Arsenal have stepped up their interest in Mexican defender Hector Moreno after Arsene Wenger sent scout Brian McDermott to watch the player in action last night.
The boss is searching for a new defender this month to give us another vital option at the back during the second half of the season as we’ve been forced to play full-backs in the center of defence this campaign due to the lack of depth behind Mertesacker and Koscielny.
Moreno is the latest name to be linked with the Daily Mail claiming that Arsene sent Brian McDermott to run-the-rule over the 26-year-old during last night’s clash between Espanyol and Valencia, as the 6ft Mexican played the entire game to help Espanyol ease to a 2-0 win.
The likes of Tottenham and Everton have previously been linked with Moreno but had to shelve their interest when he picked up a serious injury in the summer just after playing a key role for Mexico at the World Cup.
I remember watching Moreno over in Brazil and thinking he looked a real player and he also earned good reviews from some of the pundits.
It is always dangerous to simply go for a player based on their performances at a World Cup, but Moreno has been doing the business for Espanyol for over three years and was even named as their Player of the Year in 2012, so he could be an interesting option if Arsene decides he’s the man he wants this month.