- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
Arsenal Handed Major Double Injury Boost But Duo Face Late Tests
Arsenal have been handed a major double injury boost with Mesut Ozil and Mathieu Flamini expected to be return against Stoke this weekend but Aaron Ramsey and Danny Welbeck will face late fitness tests.
Ozil has been on the sidelines for three months with a knee injury but stepped up his comeback after returning to full training late last week.
The German international will train all this week with the rest of the first team squad and the Telegraph claim he will then be in contention to face Stoke on Sunday.
It’s going to be a major boost to have Ozil available again as we’ve sorely missed his creativity while he’s been out, although I think we’ll see him start on the bench and eased back into action.
In a double boost the newspaper also suggests that Mathieu Flamini will be back this weekend after missing the last two games through injury and I expect the Frenchman’s return will see Francis Coquelin drop out.
There could be more positive news on the injury front with Danny Welbeck and Aaron Ramsey close to making their comeback’s.
Ramsey has been out for a month with a hamstring injury while Welbeck has a thigh problem. Neither player is back in full training as yet so the club will assess their fitness later in the week before making a decision over whether they will be in the squad on Sunday.
Even if they aren’t passed fit to face Stoke, the duo should be available to take on Manchester City next weekend, so we’re slowly getting the squad back together.