- Team News: Wenger on Walcott, Monreal, Cazorla, Ramsey & more
- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
Arsenal To Make Shock Bid For World Class International – Reports
Some interesting transfer news doing the rounds today with reports claiming that Arsenal are set to table a formal £7m bid for Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech.
According to the Daily Star, Arsene Wenger has completely lost faith in Wojciech Szczesny after his hugely disappointing performance against Southampton and now wants to replace him with Chelsea’s former number one.
After ten years as the Blues’ first choice, Cech has lost his place in Jose Mourinho’s side this season and is now being tipped for a move either this month or in the summer.
Mourinho insists Cech won’t be sold mid-season but the newspaper report suggests that we’ll test Chelsea’s resolve with a £7m bid and offer the Czech international the chance of regular first team football.
It’s difficult to know how much truth there is in this report. Up until last week i’d have dismissed it as idle gossip, but it really wouldn’t surprise me if Arsene was beginning to lose his patience with Szczesny.
He showed huge faith in the young Pole to hand him the gloves but he’s still dropping schoolboy clangers that are costing us games and probably hasn’t progressed as much as the club would have expected.
Wenger refused to talk about Szczesny after the Saints game and has axed him from the squad for today’s FA Cup clash with Hull, so you never know, perhaps the boss is on the look-out for a new No.1.
Obviously Cech would be a sensational signing as he’s a world class goalkeeper who would make a big difference to our team.
Interestingly, his agent recently encouraged us to table a bid, saying that Cech would consider a move to the Emirates, but warned that any potential switch would have to wait until the summer:
“It’s unlikely Petr will leave Chelsea in the January transfer window. The club and coach want to keep him to help win the title. I think Arsenal should have made an offer to him. I think Petr would be considering it.
“Liverpool need to strengthen their position in goal and they know Petr will be available in the summer.
“We’ve been in contact with Real Madrid, but they don’t need a keeper just now.” Kolar is quoted as saying by the Mirror.
I honestly think Cech would be open to a move but the big problem will be persuading Mourinho to sell to us agreeing a fee if they did. It would take a lot more than £7m, that’s for sure. I’d suggest it may need close to £20m in todays market. Would Wenger pay that for a player who’ll be 33 in May? I have my doubts….