- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
Wenger Confirms Midfielder Is Set For Shock New Contract
Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Abou Diaby is in-line to be handed a shock new deal at the club if he can prove his fitness between now and the end of the season.
Diaby has made just two appearances over the past two seasons and just 22 over the past four seasons as a series of injuries continue to plague his career.
With seven months left on his current deal, many expected the 28-year-old to be released at the end of the current campaign so we could finally get his wages off the books.
Speaking at his press conference today ahead of Saturday’s clash with Stoke, Wenger confirmed that Diaby is once again unavailable due to a calf injury. However, he also surprisingly revealed that the midfielder would be handed a new deal if he could prove his fitness over the next few months.
The boss told reporters:
‘Diaby is on the fringe of coming back into full training but he is not there yet – he has a calf problem,’ said Wenger.
‘His injuries are never severe but little grade one tears. He is not available yet.’
‘If Diaby is fully fit, he will have a new deal at Arsenal.’
I know Arsene is a HUGE Diaby fan and believes he could have been one of the very best had injuries not got in the way, but surely this is a wind-up?
It would be a complete waste of time, not to mention MORE money, if we handed Diaby a new deal. His body simply can not stay fit. He’s proven that over the course of his career following his unfortunate leg break back in 2006.
I’m hoping that Arsene is using the lure of a new deal to try and keep Diaby focussed and working hard to regain fitness in order to try and earn a new deal at another club, because we’ve given him enough time to prove he can stay fit at Arsenal.