- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Agent Talks-Up Move As Wenger ‘Considers Tabling €32m’ Defender Bid
Reports in Portugal claim that Arsene Wenger is considering triggering a €32m buy-out clause in the contract of Sporting Lisbon defender Cedric Soares this January.
The boss has already openly admitted we are short at the back this season and he’s strongly hinted he’ll bring in another player during the winter window.
A numbers have been linked but the latest is Sporting Lisbon’s highly-rated full-back Cedric Soares, who has emerged as one of the best right-back’s across Europe.
Speculation in Portugal suggests that Arsene is considering meeting the 23-year-old’s €32m (£25.5m) buy-out clause in January and now the defenders agent, Miguel Veloso, has refused to rule out a move.
When asked about Arsenal’s interest, Veloso did say that they are in talks over a new deal at Sporting but left the door open to a move by admitting that anything is possible.
‘We are happy his work is being recognised,’ said agent Miguel Veloso when asked about Arsenal interest.
‘Right now, we continue to negotiate the renewal of the contract between Cedric and Sporting. But nothing is agreed.
‘All scenarios are possible [in January].’
With Kieran Gibbs the latest to pick up an injury, we head into this weekend’s clash against Burnley with just three fit senior defenders – and one of those is 19-year-old Calum Chambers – so it’s safe to say we need reinforcements at the back.
However, I’d argue that right-back isn’t a particular priority. Mathieu Debuchy should be back in December, Calum Chambers has done a steady job filling in and Hector Bellerin looks to have a bright future ahead of him, so I don’t think it makes any sense to spend €32m on another right-back.
A central defender HAS to be the focus if we’re to bring in a defender this winter and I’d be astounded if anything came of this supposed interest in Cedric Soares. It sounds like an agent using us to get his client a better deal to be honest.