- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
Arsenal ‘Clear To Sign £32m Centre-Back’ – Reports
Reports today are claiming that Arsenal are now the clear favourites to land Mats Hummels after Manchester United ended their interest in the German centre-back.
Hummels has been strongly linked with a move away from Borussia Dortmund in recent months as talks continue to drag on over a new deal and Arsenal and United have been reportedly battling it out to try and lure the 25-year-old to the Premier League with the promise of a bumper pay-day.
However, it appears we’ve now been handed a major boost with the Daily Star claiming that Louis van Gaal has ended his interest in the German World Cup winner and turned his attention to Zenit St Petersburg defender Ezequiel Garay.
Arsene Wenger has already hinted he’ll look to bring in another defender in January and the newspaper suggests that the boss has made Hummels his No.1 target.
Obviously he’d be a sensational addition to the squad but I have some serious doubts over whether any deal will take place. Firstly, Dortmund reportedly value him at around £32m and I personally don’t see Arsene agreeing to pay that kind of money for a defender.
Secondly, and most importantly, I just don’t think Dortmund will agree to sell mid-season. Sure, they’re having a nightmare domestic campaign, but they are still flying in the Champions League and will secure qualification to the knockout stages if they beat Galatasaray next week.
Do you think they’ll sell one of their best players when they’re still in Europe? Nope. Me neither.
So as exciting as these reports are, I think we’ll have to wait until the summer to sign Hummels and that could be too late as we desperately need reinforcements in the winter window.