- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
‘I Could Have Joined Arsenal’ Claims International Defender
Greek international defender Konstantinos Manolas claims he could have joined Arsenal in the summer before ending up at AS Roma.
We were strongly linked with the 23-year-old after his impressive World Cup performances over in Brazil as Arsene Wenger looked to bring in a replacement for Thomas Vermaelen.
Juventus were also touted as a potential suitor but at one point reports suggested we had agreed a deal worth around £8m with Olympiakos.
However, at the last minute Roma came in and hijacked the deal by offering nearer £10m and Manolas quickly sealed his move to Serie A.
The centre-back has now confirmed that both Arsenal and Juve were options for him before he ended up at the Stadio Olimpico:
“It’s true, Juventus sought me out after the World Cup.
“I could also have ended up at Arsenal. But I never went to London, as it was reported.
“Now, for me, there is only Roma. I’m very happy to have come here.” Manolas told Sky Sports
Obviously we failed to sign another centre-back during the summer and Manolas was one of several defenders we probably missed out on.
Let’s hope Arsene can rectify this in January as our lack of depth at the back has already left us badly exposed this season.