- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
Top Arsenal Target Opens Up About Collapsed Summer Move
Top Arsenal target Adrien Rabiot has admitted he had agreed to join Roma in the summer but has no idea why the deal collapsed.
With Arsene Wenger understood to be on the look-out for a defensive midfielder, Rabiot emerged as a key target during the final weeks of the summer transfer window after we failed to agree deals for Sami Khedira or William Carvalho.
The 19-year-old was expected to leave PSG after snubbing a contract extension offer and despite Arsenal pushing hard to try and lure him to North London, the midfielder was reportedly close to joining Roma.
However, the proposed deal collapsed and Rabiot has been relegated to play with the PSG reserves this season, which has only increased his determination to seal a move away from the club in January.
Arsenal have once again been linked with a move for the French international this winter, but Rabiot has admitted he still has his eye on a switch to Serie A. Speaking about his future, he told Canal+:
“With Roma, everything was done. It was my choice. I had already decided to wear their shirt. And to be honest, I don’t understand why the deal collapsed,”
“I don’t know if I will play again for PSG. It was not my choice to play for the reserve team team but it’s a pleasure to play football, even training and playing in the fourth tier.
“I’m available to the coach [Laurent Blanc] and he’ll decide. We speak very often and he told me that he would love this situation to be resolved,”
“It’s not true that I fear the competition at PSG,”
“Look at the other midfielders at Roma. There is competition there, too. Roma are a big club with a nice project and they are now playing in the Champions League.
“Now, we just have to will wait until January to see what we can do,” he concluded.
Rabiot would be an exciting addition as he can play central midfield and centre-back, so would fill two of our problem areas in the squad, but it looks like he has decided to join Roma so Arsene will have to move on to other targets in January.