- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
Arsenal ‘Set To Make January Move’ For Prolific Goal-Scorer
Reports are claiming that Arsenal are set to make a move for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar with Schalke ready to cash-in for just £3m in January.
Huntelaar is in the final year of his contract and has so far rejected the German clubs attempts to agree an extension, so it seems they are ready to cut their losses and sell on the cheap rather than lose him for nothing in the summer.
We’ve been linked with the 31-year-old several times in the past and speculation suggested we failed with a bid in the summer window before eventually signing Danny Welbeck from Man Utd.
However, the Express claims that Arsene Wenger is set to renew his interest after learning the striker is available at a bargain price, and will make an attempt to lure him to the Emirates in January.
Understandably we aren’t the only club showing an interest as the newspaper suggests that Liverpool, Tottenham and Galatasaray are among the other clubs chasing his signature, so we will have a fight on our hands to bring him to North London.
Huntelaar has recently admitted he’s keen to try his luck in the Premier League after previously having stints in Italy, Spain, Holland and Germany and there is no doubting his ability to find the back of the net.
He’s scored an incredible 172 goals in just 245 games for Schalke while his career tally is just as impressive with 282 goals in 442 games, but do we really need another striker in January?
Giroud should be coming back to fitness in the New Year, we now have Welbeck as well as Sanchez, Walcott, Campbell, Sanogo and Podolski who can all play through the middle, so I would question the logic in bringing in another forward unless Arsene is planning to sell someone.
Podolski has been voicing his frustration at sitting on the bench but he’s mostly been used on the left-wing during his time at the club so Huntelaar could hardly be seen as a direct replacement. Campbell may be sent out on loan in January but again, he barely plays so I’m not sure where Huntelaar would fit in if he did join the club.
I personally think the boss should be concentrating his efforts on bringing in a defensive midfielder and a centre-back this winter, and leaving the attacking department until the summer.