- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsenal ‘Likely’ To Sign ‘New Vieira’ In January
Robert Pires says Arsene Wenger is ‘likely’ to secure a deal for Sami Khedira in January with the Arsenal legend claiming he can be our ‘new Vieira’.
It’s no secret that we need to add a physical presence to our midfield and fans were left fuming when Arsene failed to bring in a defensive midfielder in the summer.
Khedira was strongly linked with a move to the Emirates and more recent reports have suggested the World Cup winner has now agreed personal terms with Arsenal worth around £100,000-a-week ahead of a potential January switch.
All that remains is for us to agree a fee with Real Madrid and with the midfielder in the final year of his contract, we could snap him up at a bargain price, but it remains to be seen whether the Spaniard’s will do business mid-season.
However, Former attacker Robert Pires believes a deal is ‘likely’ to be agreed in January and has backed Khedira to be our ‘new Vieira’ in the middle of the park.
Pires told reporters.
“He [Wenger] needs a big player in the middle, like Viera, strong, tall, because this position is very important for the balance between attack and defence,”
“The quality is there but you need more, maybe [someone] like Yaya Toure in middle.
“He reminds me of Patrick Vieira, maybe they have an opportunity with Khedira.
“It is likely in the January window. He played very well with Germany.
“My advice is if he can buy Khedira he can be the [new] Vieira, more aggression in the middle.
“He has a lot of experience. When you play in the middle you need experience, especially when your midfield is young like Arsenal’s.”
It’s hard to argue with Bobby on this one as it’s clear for all to see that we need a big, powerful, dominant midfielder to compliment the creative talents like Wilshere and Ramsey and Khedira would be an excellent addition.
Let’s hope Pires has a strong word in the bosses ear and persuades him to push the boat out and do what it takes to bring the German international to North London this winter.