- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
Arsenal Linked With Shock Move For Portuguese International
Reports today claim that Arsenal are lining-up a surprise move for Malaga defender Vitorino Antunes this January.
Many are expecting Arsene Wenger to bring in another centre-back when the transfer window reopens in the winter as we have just three senior options to choose form in the middle of defence.
However, Antunes is in fact a left-back, so it comes as a bit of a shock that the Mirror are reporting that we are ready to trigger the 28-year-old’s buy-out clause – which is set at just £2.5m.
Antunes originally joined Malaga on loan in January 2012 before making the move permanent the following summer and the Portuguese international has made almost 50 appearances for the La Liga club.
But Wenger already has two solid options at left-back in Kieran Gibbs and Nacho Monreal, while the likes of Mathieu Flamini and Francis Coquelin can also fill in there, so I don’t really see the need to bring in another option on the left side of defence.
Both Gibbs and Monreal have had their injury worries, so perhaps the boss is wanting a cheap, experienced back-up, but I’d still be majorly surprised if anything came of this.
Personally, I think Arsene should be concentrating his efforts on bringing in a centre-back and a world class defensive midfielder in January.