- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
Nigerian Defender: “Wenger Admires Me, I Almost Joined Arsenal’
Nigerian defender Joseph Yobo claims that Arsene Wenger is a fan of his talents and revealed that he almost joined Arsenal before Everton blocked the move.
Yobo is now a free agent after being released by Fenerbache following an unsuccessful loan spell at Norwich City last season where he made just 8 appearances.
The 34-year-old has been linked with a move to the Emirates in recent days with the club supposedly looking at potential free transfer signings to help solve our defensive problems.
However, while Yobo insists he knows nothing of any recent interest from Arsenal, he has claimed that Arsene Wenger is an admirer of his talents and he came close to signing for us some years ago as a replacement for Sol Campbell before Everton blocked the move.
He told reporters.
“I read Arsenal was interested in me, it was news to me. There is no formal contact with anybody.
“I know Arsene Wenger admires me a lot and wanted me to replace Sol Campbell some years ago, but Everton blocked the move.
“He wanted me to partner Kolo Toure in defence; I was younger then.
“If negotiations are taking place, I am not aware, maybe the club is speaking with my agent.”
Yobo was a fine player in his day but he’s well past his best now, and after watching young Isaac Hayden in the Capital One Cup last night, I’d much rather we gave him a shot at the first team than bring in an ageing centre-back who’s going to be unfit and out of practice.
The next few weeks are going to be extremely difficult to navigate without giving Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker rests, so it looks like Calum Chambers and potentially Hayden are going to have to step up unless Arsene can find a decent free agent to bring in.