- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
TEAM: Diaby Starts! My Arsenal Starting XI To Face Southampton
Arsenal welcome Southampton to the Emirates tomorrow night in the third round of the Capital One Cup, and this is the team I’d like to see Arsene Wenger go with for the game.
Obviously we’re going to make wholesale changes for the match and David Ospina is expected to be handed his debut following his move this summer. Hector Bellerin should be given another run-out after losing his place at Villa Park this weekend following his baptism of fire away at Dortmund.
The big decision is who to play in central defence as the boss has few options to choose from. It’s a risk to play Calum Chambers but it’s one we’ve probably got to take and I’d like to see young Isaac Hayden given a chance to impress.
Mathieu Flamini should start and I’d love to see Abou Diaby given a run out. He’s played a couple of games for the Under-21′s and was on the bench against Villa, so he’s got to be getting close to a first team come-back, so why not test his fitness in this game. If we can keep him fit, could we convert Diaby into a defensive midfielder? He might just be the answer to our problems over the next few months….
With the likes of Cazorla and Ozil rested I think Tomas Rosicky and Lukas Podolski will come in while I’d keep The Ox in the side for his pace. Alternatively, we could hand Joel Campbell a start but I’d stick with the Ox.
Yaya Sanogo may come in if he overcomes his hamstring injury, but I’d personally like to see Chuba Akpom start up front. He’s been banging in the goals for the Under-21′s this season and deserves his chance.
This would be my team:
It’s difficult to know how seriously Arsene will take this game and he may decide to start a few more of the first teamers, but I’d give all the big guns a rest, play the experienced second string like Podolski and Flamini and then give a few youngsters a chance.