- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
Arsenal Make €20m Bid, Player Wants Move, Talks With Agent Underway
Arsenal are hoping to wrap up a deal for Borussia Dortmund defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos after tabling an improved €20m bid for the Greek international, according to reports.
Arsene Wenger is on the look-out for another centre-back after selling Thomas Vermaelen to Barcelona and Papastathopoulos is the latest name to be linked with a move to the Emirates.
Reports claim we saw an opening bid of €14m (£11m) turned down last week but the Express suggest we’ve now gone back in with an improved €20m (£16m) bid this weekend.
The offer is still below Dortmund’s €25m (£20m) asking price but Arsene is hopeful we can agree a deal as Papastathopoulos is believed to have told the German giants he wants to leave and join Arsenal.
Further reports also claim that we’ve already opened talks with the players agent about a potential move to the Emirates, so it looks like we have a serious interest.
The 26-year-old is predominantly a centre-back but is also capable of playing at right-back or as a defensive midfielder, so he certainly offers the versatility that Arsene is looking for.
Papastathopoulos only joined Dortmund from Werder Breman for £7.5m last summer so it’s difficult to see how his valuation has almost trebled over the last 12 months, so I think a deal at around £16m would be more than reasonable.
We’ll have to see whether Dortmund agree or if they hold out for more, but with just two days remaining of the transfer window, we need to get a fee agreed soon if we want to get the deal over the line before Monday nights deadline.