- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal To Make Stunning €40m Bid For World Class Hitman – Report
Some exciting reports coming out of France are claiming that Arsenal are set to make a stunning €40m bid for Paris Saint-Germain hitman Edinson Cavani and will throw Olivier Giroud into the deal as well.
We’ve been linked with Cavani on-and-off for some time and speculation back in January even suggested we had made a £30m bid for the striker, but it was rejected out of hand by PSG.
Arsene has never hidden his admiration of the Uruguayan international and talk of us renewing our interest intensified after Cavani admitted at the start of the summer that he was unhappy at having to play out wide in Laurent Blanc’s side.
French media outlet Sport.fr are now reporting that Arsenal are set to make a late push to lure the striker to the Emirates by offering PSG €40m (£32m) in cash plus Olivier Giroud in exchange for the 27-year-old’s signature.
The package is reportedly worth a total of £50m – which values Giroud at £18m – but it’s not clear how the offer will be received once it’s formally put on the table to the Ligue 1 champions.
Widespread reports have suggested PSG would be willing to cash in on Cavani in order to help raise funds for Angel Di Maria but things have been complicated by Zlatan Ibrahimovic picking up an injury last week.
The tempting thing about our proposal for PSG is that they’d get a striker in exchange who could cover for Zlatan while he’s injured, as well as a sizeable amount of money that they could put towards the purchase of Di Maria.
So while on the face of it this report may seem highly unlikely to amount to anything, you just never know. If PSG do REALLY want Di Maria, they could be willing to sacrifice an unsettled Cavani in order to land him and for all his faults, Giroud is still highly rated in France and would be a decent back-up for Ibrahimovic.
Perhaps I’m clutching at straws and getting carried away by the thought of Cavani in an Arsenal shirt as he really would totally transform our attack and make us genuine title challengers (as long as we also buy a defensive midfielder!), but we’re all allowed to dream aren’t we?!