- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
Player ‘Undergoes Arsenal Medical’ Ahead Of €10m Move – Reports
It looks like Arsenal are about to wrap up their fifth major signing of the summer with reports claiming that Kostas Manolas has undergone a medical ahead of a €10m move from Olympiakos.
The Greek centre-back has emerged as a top target in recent weeks as Arsene Wenger stepped up his hunt for a replacement for Thomas Vermaelen – who joined Baarcelona earlier this month.
Speculation suggested that we had opened talks with Olympiakos over the 23-year-old in early August and were quoted €10m (£8m) by the Greek outfit – which is a very reasonable fee for a player of his quality and potential.
Now, the Independent are reporting that Manolas has successfully undergone a medical with Arsenal and despite interest from the likes of Juventus, it appears we have won the race for his signature with the move expected to be sealed this week.
This news comes after Arsene Wenger confirmed last week that he will sign another centre-back if he can identify the right player.
“Vermaelen behaved outstandingly last year – I am grateful for him and I wish him very well,” Wenger said.
“If I can find another centre-back I will do it.”
It looks like he has now found that target and Manolas will become our fifth major signing of the summer following the arrivals of Sanchez, Ospina, Chambers and Debuchy.
If, as expected, the move goes through he will add some much-needed depth to our back line and provide competition to Koscielny and Mertesacker in the middle of defence.