- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
Wenger Offers Latest On Koscielny, Ozil, Mertesacker + Podolski
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has been speaking to the media at his pre-match press conference ahead of tomorrow evening’s Premier League opener against Crystal Palace.
Among the many things discussed, the Frenchman gave the latest on the fitness of Laurent Koscielny, Per Mertesacker, Mesut Ozil and Lukas Podolski.
Let’s start with the good news and it looks as though Koscielny is going to be fit to face Palace. The defender was a doubt after aggravating an Achilles injury against Man City last weekend but Arsene is confident the centre-back will pass a late fitness test today.
Kos is going to be partnered by young Calum Chambers in the center of defence tomorrow as the boss also confirmed that none of our World Cup winning Germans are ready for action just yet.
The trio only returned to training on Monday so are well short of fitness and the boss says the earliest they will be considered is next weeks trip to Everton, which means they will miss the midweek Champions League clash against Besiktas.
We should have enough to get off to a winning start tomorrow with the Germans but lets hope we can cope without them against Besiktas on Tuesday, as an away trip to Turkey is never an easy ride.
Here’s what the boss said today:
TEAM NEWS: "Koscielny should be back but the Germans are not ready yet. It will be a similar squad to Man City" pic.twitter.com/I9yCr5Lyzj
— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) August 15, 2014
Wenger says Koscielny will be fit to face #cpfc. "The Germans are not ready yet – the earliest they could be considered is for Everton."
— James Olley (@JamesOlley) August 15, 2014