- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Madrid Willing To Sell Khedira To Arsenal For Just €10m – Reports
Spanish outlet AS are reporting today that Real Madrid are now willing to accept as little as €10m for Arsenal target Sami Khedira this summer in order to avoid losing the midfielder for nothing in 12 months time.
Arsenal were strongly linked with Khedira earlier in the summer when Madrid were believed to be demanding around €30m following his excellent displays at the World Cup.
Any potential deal stalled over Khedira’s excessive wage demands – which were in the region of £150,000-a-week after tax – so we’ve subsequently moved on to other targets.
However, things have changed in the past week or so. Khedira was left out of the Madrid squad by Carlo Ancelotti for their Super Cup clash with Sevilla on Tuesday night, even though fellow outcast Angel Di Maria was involved.
This has been taken as a clear sign that the German international is being forced out of the Bernabeu with the Madrid hierarchy understood to be unhappy at the way Khedira has conducted himself during contract negotiations.
With just 12 months remaining on his current deal, Spanish newspaper AS claim today that Madrid are now willing to accept as little as €10m for Khedira as they want rid of him this summer.
The paper believes that Arsenal have been holding out until the final weeks of the window in order to bring the price down, and it seems to have worked, so we should expect renewed interest in the midfielder during the closing stages of the transfer window.
There’s no doubt we should be biting Madrid’s hands off if they are willing to cash in for just €10m, but there would still be a few stumbling blocks to overcome and AS claim that Chelsea and Fiorentina are also keen on the 27-year-old while wages could also still be an issue.
However, if he’s forced out of Madrid, Khedira is likely to have to drop his wage demands in order to secure a move elsewhere and the report suggests that Fiorentina feel €3.5m-a-year after tax should be enough to tempt him.
Whether that turns out to be the case remains to be seen, but I do think we’re going to see a late scramble for Khedira’s signature with Arsenal firmly at the front of the queue.
Khedira may not be the out-and-out defensive midfielder I think we desperately need, but he’d still be a superb addition to the squad, so I’d be delighted if we end up bringing him to the Emirates.