- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
Arsenal In Talks Over World Cup Star
According to reports, Arsenal are in talks with Olympiakos to try and sign centre-back Kostas Manolas.
We are desperate to bring in another defender after selling Thomas Vermaelen to Barcelona last weekend and Manolas has emerged as a potential target in recent days.
The Greek international was one of the best defenders at this summers World Cup and received many plaudits for his rock solid displays at the back over in Brazil.
The 23-year-old has attracted interest from the likes of Juventus and Napoli, but Goal claim Arsene Wenger has sanctioned a formal move after growing increasingly concerned over the fitness of Laurent Koscielny – who is struggling with an on-going Achilles injury.
After holding formal talks with Olympiakos, the Greek champions have supposedly told us it would take £8m to sign the defender before the end of the month.
We desperately need to bring in another option at the back and I was very impressed with Manolas at the World Cup, so £8m seems like a decent price for a player of his quality and potential.
He’s not the finished article by any stretch of the imagination but he’s still young enough to be able to improve further and he’d give us some much needed depth in the center of defence, so fingers crossed we can get this deal done quickly or we will be going into the new season dangerous low on options.