- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
- Ratings: Hat-trick hero Ozil shines as Arsenal thrash Ludogorets
- Video: Arsenal 6-0 Ludogorets: Ozil bags hat-trick in rout
- Teams: Arsenal v Ludogorets: Gibbs & Coquelin start
Arsene Wenger Confirms New Arsenal Captain Following Vermaelen Exit
Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Mikel Arteta is the new Arsenal captain following the sale of Thomas Vermaelen to Barcelona.
Many fans have been calling for the boss to hand the captains armband to Per Mertesacker after seeing Vermaelen join Barca on Saturday.
However, speaking after our 3-0 win over Manchester City in the Community Shield today, Arsene confirmed to reporters that Arteta will be the new captain with Mertesacker the vice captain.
The London Evening Standard journalist James Olley confirmed the news on Twitter:
Wenger confirms Mikel Arteta as #afc captain for the season (he's out of contract in the summer). Per Mertesacker named vice-captain.
— James Olley (@JamesOlley) August 10, 2014
Like most others, I would have preferred Per to get the nod but Arsene has decided to stick to his guns and promote Arteta to skipper after the Spaniard was vice-captain to Vermaelen last season.
Some fans are freaking out thinking this means we wont be signing a defensive midfielder this summer, but I don’t see it that way. The boss doesn’t really care too much for who the ‘captain’ is and he’s admitted this in the past, so I wouldn’t look too much into this.
He was happy for Vermaelen to sit on the bench when captain, so I wouldn’t see this as a sign that we won’t bring in another defensive midfielder this season.