- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
Wenger Confirms Arsenal Were ‘Never Close’ To Signing £24m Ace
Arsene Wenger has ruled out making a move for Sami Khedira and insists he was ‘never close’ to signing the Real Madrid midfielder.
Khedira has been strongly linked with a move to Arsenal in recent weeks and reports last month claimed that we were closing in on his signature after supposedly agreeing a £24m fee with Madrid.
Reports then suggested the proposed move stalled over the German midfielders excessive wage demands, and talk of a deal has since gone a little quiet.
However, speaking at his press conference this lunchtime ahead of Sunday’s Community Shield against Manchester City, Arsene insisted that he was never close to signing the 27-year-old and hinted that the players agent may have ‘put him on the market’.
The boss also appeared to confirm that he wont be in the market for any more all-round midfielders as Jack Wilshere is now back to full fitness. Wenger said
“I don’t know who has put Khedira on the market – is it his agent or the press?”
“We were never close to signing him. Jack Wilshere is back fit and in midfield we have offensive midfielders and quite a few box-to-box players.”
So it looks like the press and/or the players agent have generated this story, or Arsene is telling porkies again. Either way, as I’ve said for weeks now, I don’t see Khedira coming to Arsenal. His wages are too high and I think we’re in the market for a proper defensive midfielder.
We’ve been linked with Sporting Lisbon’s William Carvalho and he would be a more sensible purchase in my opinion, so let’s hope we have some good news on that front soon.