- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
Unsettled Defender Snubs Arsenal Talks – Reports
Thomas Vermaelen has edged even closer to a move to Man Utd or Barcelona after refusing to even enter into talks with Arsenal over a new deal, according to the Daily Mail.
The Belgian international has grown increasingly frustrated at having to sit on the bench most weeks after losing his place in Arsene Wenger’s starting eleven 18 months ago, and he’s had to watch on as Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny forged an impressive partnership at the back.
The 28-year-old has now entered the final year of his contract and the Daily Mail claim that Arsenal are keen to open talks over a potential extension. However, Vermaelen has refused to even entertain the idea or signing a new deal leaving Arsene in a difficult position.
We have to either cash-in now and sell to Barcelona or Man Utd – who are leading the chase for his signature – and bring in a suitable replacement, or force him to see out the final year of his deal and let him leave for nothing next summer.
United have already had a £7m bid rejected and it seems we’re determined not to sell to our domestic rivals, so hopefully we’ll either agree a deal with Barca or Vermaelen will stay and sign a pre-contract agreement with the Catalans in January.
The defender is due to hold further talks about his future this week so I wouldn’t be surprised if we see further developments in a few days. My gut feeling is he’ll go and I just hope he’s sold abroad. It would be sad to see yet another player join a rival.