- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
Arsenal Close In On Fifth Summer Signing – Reports
It seems Arsenal are closing in on their fifth signing of the summer with reports today claiming we are expected to agree a €30m deal for William Carvalho.
The Portuguese midfielder has emerged as a key target for Arsene Wenger in recent weeks after we failed to agree personal terms with Real Madrid’s Sami Khedira.
Reports suggested that we initially enquired about the 22-year-old earlier in the summer but were told by Sporting Lisbon that they wanted the full value of his €46m (£37m) buy-out clause.
However, the situation appears to have changed with reports last week claiming that Sporting have accepted they have to sell Carvalho to help ease their financial problems, while the investment company who own 60% of the midfielders economic rights is also keen to sell.
This news has once again alerted Arsenal with reports in Portugal from newspaper O Jogo claiming we are ready to table a €30m (£24m) bid and the paper believes this offer will be accepted as we are prepared to pay the full amount up front.
Once the €30m bid is accepted, we should have no problem agreeing personal terms as Carvalho is believed to still only be on around £5,000-a-week at Sporting as he’s yet to agree a new deal, so it looks like we’re closing in on our fifth signing of the summer.
If these reports prove to be accurate then Carvalho would be an excellent signing and he’d certainly fill a huge void in our team as he’s a real defensive midfield powerhouse who would be able to protect the back-four.
He doesn’t have the big-game experience of someone like Khedira, but at 22 he’s still got plenty of time to improve further and I could see him forming a fearsome partnership alongside the likes of Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere for years to come.
Let’s see how things develop over the coming days but I personally hope these reports are true and we can get a deal agreed for the player. Then, all we need is to find a replacement for Vermaelen, if he leaves, and we’ll be set.