- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
- Ratings: Hat-trick hero Ozil shines as Arsenal thrash Ludogorets
- Video: Arsenal 6-0 Ludogorets: Ozil bags hat-trick in rout
- Teams: Arsenal v Ludogorets: Gibbs & Coquelin start
- [Tweet] Arsenal ace ‘can’t wait’ to play as he closes in on comeback
Arsenal Eye Shock Raid On Real Madrid – Spanish Reports
Arsene Wenger is eyeing a surprise move for Real Madrid defender Alvaro Arbeloa, according to reports in Spain.
The boss admitted at his press conference on Friday ahead of the Emirates Cup that he’ll be in the market for another defender if Thomas Vermaelen leaves this summer. I think it’s safe to say that’s almost a certainly, and Arsene admitted as much yesterday, so it looks like we’ll be making at least one more signing this summer.
However, somewhat surprisingly, Spanish newspaper AS claims that Arsene has identified Alvaro Arbeloa as a key target. They suggest the boss wants a versatile defender who can cover any position across the back-line and he believes he could land the 31-year-old on the cheap after he lost his place in Carlo Ancelotti’s starting eleven last year.
Arbeloa is predominantly a right-back but is also more than capable of playing in the centre and has played a few games at left-back when needed, so he’s certainly got the versatility Wenger is looking for.
We only recently brought in Calum Chambers and many thought he would act as cover for Mathieu Debuchy at right-back, but AS suggest Arsene will use Chambers in the middle with Arbeloa covering on the right.
It’s certainly a rumour that’s come from nowhere, but he could be a decent short-term solution. Our back four of Debuchy, Mertesacker, Koscielny and Gibbs is settled so we need reliable back-ups and Arbeloa wouldn’t be the worst signing.
However, my preference would still be to bring in an established centre-back to replace Vermaelen. I think we took it for granted having such as good third choice centre-back available and we don’t want to be caught out this season if Per or Kos pick up an injury.