- Preview: Sunderland v Arsenal, duo ruled out, Ox starts + prediction
- Team News: Wenger on Walcott, Monreal, Cazorla, Ramsey & more
- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
Arsenal ‘Held Transfer Talks’ With £27m-Rated Midfielder – Report
Reports in France are claiming that Arsenal have already held talks with Morgan Schneiderlin about a potential switch to the Emirates.
The midfielder has been strongly linked with a move to Arsenal in recent months and French source Get French Football claims that talks have taken place with the players camp.
The outlet also suggests that Olivier Giroud has been doing his best to persuade his international team mate to join him at the Emirates, while the striker is one of several players who have also had words with Arsene Wenger about signing the player this summer.
However, we face stiff competition from Tottenham as our rivals have already had a formal bid turned down and widespread reports state that Schneiderlin is keen to be reunited with former boss Mauricio Pochettino at White Hart Lane.
Southampton are also reluctant to sell and the 24-year-old appeared to hit out at the club on Twitter earlier this week after being told he wouldn’t be sold this summer.
This led to speculation that he had handed in a formal transfer request to try and force a move, but Get French Football claim those reports are wide of the mark and Schneiderlin isn’t prepared to ruin his relationship with the fans that have supported him for six years.
It does seem harsh that Southampton sell off half their squad but refuse to grant Schneiderlin his big move, but I have a feeling he will be sold in the end. It’s just a matter of time, but it will be interesting to see where he ends up.
While Arsene is a huge fan, I think he may have his eye on a bigger target, most likely Khedira, with Schneiderlin seen as the ‘back-up’ option. There’s also the problem of price as Southampton are believed to be demanding £27m. There’s no chance we’ll agree to pay that, but I doubt Spurs will either, so the price will likely drop to nearer £20m.
With Khedira available for a similar fee, I can see Arsene pushing for the German international and only moving for Schneiderlin if we can’t get a deal agreed for the Real Madrid man. It’s a risky game as we could end up missing out on both.
We’ll have to see how things develop but as long as we bring in one of Khedira, Schneiderlin or even Carvalho, I’ll be a happy Gooner….