- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
Arsene Wenger Takes Spending Past £60m After Confirming £12m Deal
Arsene Wenger has taken his summer spending past £60m for the first time in his Arsenal career after confirming Calum Chambers will joins the club.
Reports over the weekend claimed that Chambers was set for a move from Southampton after undergoing a medical and agreeing personal terms on Friday.
Speaking after our 1-0 loss to New York Red Bulls on Saturday night, Arsene confirmed the 19-year-old is set to join the club and he admitted it’s a gamble as the teenager has only made 23 first team appearances for the Saints.
Chambers is predominantly a right-back but can also play in the middle of defence or in central midfield, and this versatility appealed to the boss.
He told reporters:
“He can play at centre-back, right-back and central midfield,” Wenger said.
“I hope he will give us competition for the players in this three positions. He hasn’t played many games, no, but the English players on the market in England are very expensive and at the end of the day I was ready to take a gamble because he is a player for the future.”
Arsenal are yet to officially announce the signing but it could be done within the next 24 hours, and Chambers will become our fourth major summer signing.
Arsene has already splashed out a reported £35m on Alexis Sanchez, £3m on David Ospina and £12m on Mathieu Debuchy, so our spending is set to break the £60m barrier for the first time with reports suggesting Chambers will cost at least £12m.
It’s good to see we’re finally opening the cheque book and not only that but we’re also getting our business done early. Hopefully Arsene still has a few more deals in the pipeline as we certainly need a defensive midfielder, and another forward and centre-back wouldn’t go amiss either.
***UPDATE: Arsenal have now announced the signing of Calum Chambers***