- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
Messi ‘Considered Arsenal Move’ After Speaking To Fabregas – Report
An extraordinary story has come out of Spain today with reports claiming that Lionel Messi was ‘seriously considering’ a move to Arsenal before signing a contract extension at Barcelona towards the end of last season.
There were rumours circulating throughout the course of last season that Messi wasn’t entirely content at the Nou Camp with the likes of PSG and even Man City reportedly monitoring his situation.
However, according to Spanish newspaper Vozpopuli, Messi gave serious consideration to making a sensational move to Arsenal and spoke to then-team mate Cesc Fabregas about life in north London.
The paper claims that Messi even instructed his agent to hold talks with Arsenal about whether a transfer could realistically happen, should he decide to quit the Catalan giants.
With a reported £200m buy-out clause and wages of over £12m per season, I think it’s safe to say Messi was out of our reach, and he ended up signing a new lucrative contract extension with Barca two months ago.
It’s a sensational claim by the newspaper but as unlikely as it sounds on the face of it, you just never know how much truth could be in it. Messi was close to joining Arsenal as a kid and I’m sure he’d have heard great things about the club and Arsene Wenger from Fabregas.
I’m not for one second thinking a deal was a possibility as the financials involved would have been impossible for us to match, but it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that the great Lionel Messi was considering a switch to the Emirates.
Thankfully we got the next best thing in Alexis Sanchez and we only had to pay a fraction of what Messi would have cost. However, maybe we could reunite the pair again one day in the future….when does Messi’s new deal run out?!
We can but dream…..