- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
Wenger On Khedira, More Signings, Vermaelen And Buying A Goalkeeper
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has confirmed he is still in the market to make further signings this summer, particularly a goalkeeper, and refused to rule out a move for Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira.
Newspaper reports have strongly linked us with a move for the German international in recent weeks and the boss was asked about his interest in the Madrid midfielder after our 2-0 pre-season opening win over Boreham Wood on Saturday afternoon.
While Arsene refused to rule out a move for Khedira or give any names, he did confirm he’s still on the market for further signings, saying that he’s happy with the additions he’s made already but it ‘isn’t over’, but did hint we may have to wait until later in the window before bringing in any more players.
When quizzed about Khedira and his transfer plans, Wenger told Arsenal.com:
I can’t give you any names because you are never sure that you can do what you want. We are still out there to strengthen our squad.
on Arsenal’s summer signings so far…
I’m very happy with what I could do until now. It’s not over – there’s still a long way to go.
on doing transfer deals early…
You are not the only one who decides that. Sometimes players that you want are available very late. You refer maybe to the Ozil case but at the same period last year, he was not available and became available very late. We’ll do the deals when it’s possible and that depends on three different opinions. This team we could do it early.
One position that we desperately need to strengthen is the goalkeeping department and Arsene confirmed that he will bring in a new stopper this summer. No names were given, obviously, but we’ll just have to see who he goes for.
The boss was also asked about the future of ‘skipper’ Thomas Vermaelen and he cast further doubt over whether he’ll still be here next season after refusing to rule out a move, but did confirm that he’ll bring in a replacement should the Belgian leave this summer.
on if he wants to sign a goalkeeper…
I will bring in a goalkeeper for sure.
on Thomas Vermaelen’s future…
I cannot guarantee that [he will stay at the club] but should he go, I will bring another centre back in for sure.
So it looks like there will be plenty of transfer activity at the Emirates over the coming weeks. It’s going to be interesting to see who the boss goes for and if he has another ‘marquee’ signing lined-up….