- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
Arsenal ‘Open Talks’ Over €19m Midfielder Deal – Reports
It seems Arsene Wenger has stepped up his pursuit of a defensive midfielder with widespread reports today claiming that we’ve renewed our interest in Lars Bender.
We were strongly linked with Bender last summer and saw a big-money bid rejected by Bayer Leverkusen before they persuaded the midfielder to pen a new contract.
However, the boss has maintained his interest and with a long-term replacement for Mikel Arteta on the agenda this summer, it appears we’re resurrected our interest in the 25-year-old German international.
I’m not sure we’ll be able to persuade Leverkusen to sell at that price as it’s likely they will want in excess of £20m, but the Telegraph claim Bender is being eyed as part of a triple swoop along with Sanchez and Debuchy.
It looks as though the deals for Sanchez and Debuchy are getting closer, but if we could also bag Bender we’d be in excellent shape heading into next season. The trio would all be superb additions and fill the three positions I feel we needed to strengthen in the first team this summer.
After that, we just need to buy a back up goalkeeper, a potential replacement for Vermaelen if he goes and ideally we’d also bring in more depth up front with Remy looking like a useful addition.
If we can’t agree a deal for Bender, I hope we push for Morgan Schneiderlin or failing that, we step up our interest in Sami Khedira. Any of those three would be excellent signings and provide a basis in midfield that will allow more freedom to the likes of Ramsey and Wilshere.
Fingers crossed the boss starts to get these deals tied up soon as pre-season training has now started and the new season is coming around fast….