- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
Arsenal Prepare €29m Midfielder Bid – Reports
Sami Khedira could be set to follow Mesut Ozil to Arsenal with reports today claiming we are set to make a €29m bid for the midfielder, but we face competition from Chelsea for the players signature.
Khedira has been tipped to leave the Bernabeu this summer as he has just one year remaining on his current contract and Real Madrid have so far refused to meet his wage demands.
Arsenal have been strongly linked with the 27-year-old in recent weeks with Arsene Wenger on the look-out for a defensive midfielder to replace Mikel Arteta, and the Independent are reporting today that the boss is now preparing a €29m bid – which works out at around £23m.
Khedira is currently over in Brazil getting ready for tonight’s World Cup knockout clash with Algeria, and he’s not expected to resolve his future until after he’s fulfilled his commitments with Germany this summer.
The newspaper suggests that Chelsea are also interested, with Jose Mourinho apparently keen on linking up with the midfielder again having been the one to sign him for Madrid in 2010.
However, it’s believed that Wenger is hoping to use Khedira’s close friendship with Mesut Ozil to persuade him to turn his back on Stamford Bridge and lure him to the Emirates instead.
I’m sure it will have some bearing on Khedira’s decision as he’d no doubt love to play with his compatriot again, but Mourinho has a habit of being able to convince players to join him. He managed to persuade Cesc Fabregas to join him Chelsea after-all.
I’d love to see Khedira come to Arsenal as he’d be an excellent foil for the likes of Ramsey and Wilshere next season, but it’s not going to be easy and I can see Wenger backing out if a ‘bidding war’ situation arises with Chelsea.