- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Benzema + Remy On Radar As Wenger Plans To Buy TWO Strikers
According to a report in the Telegraph today, Arsene Wenger wants to sign TWO strikers this summer with the likes of Karim Benzema and Loic Remy on his hit list.
We’ve been expected to sign one new forward over the coming months but the newspaper claims the boss wants to bring in two and has stepped up his interest in Remy as he sees him as a bargain at just £8m.
The France international had an excellent season on loan at Newcastle last year where he scored 14 goals in 26 appearances, and the 27-year-old wants to leave QPR on a permanent basis and has already confirmed he wants to play Champions League football.
With an £8m buy-out clause written into his contract, the Telegraph suggest that Arsene see’s it as too good an opportunity to pass up – particularly as Remy is able to play in the wide positions as well as through the middle.
I’ve said in recent weeks that Remy is a no-brainer IF we are going to buy two strikers, and it seems Arsene is in agreement as the report claims the boss will also target a ‘big-name’ striker once he’s tied up a deal for the former Marseille man.
It’s understood that Arsene has drawn up a hit-list that includes Karim Benzema, Alvaro Morata, Alexis Sanchez, Mario Balotelli and Mario Mandzukic, and is prepared to bide his time and see who becomes available later in the summer.
It’s obviously a dangerous game as we tried it last summer and it back-fired, so we’ll just have to hope it pays off this time around. I know big transfers are complex but money talks these days, so if we really wanted a player like Sanchez or Balotelli, then we could get them NOW if we paid the right amount of money.
Benzema would be my pick of all the strikers in the list and he’s likely to be Arsene’s first choice too, but unless Real Madrid can secure a replacement like Luis Suarez then it’s highly unlikely he’ll leave the Bernabeu this summer.
Assuming Benzema isn’t available, I’d personally like to see us sign Sanchez and Balotelli, but I suspect Arsene won’t want to spend big on two players, hence why it sounds like he wants a bargain like Remy plus one of the more expensive names.
Let’s see how things unfold over the coming weeks, but Remy would be a decent start as long as we’re able to also bring in another top class striker this summer.