- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
VIDEO: Wenger Denies Reports He’s Closing In On £29m Striker
Arsene Wenger has dismissed reports claiming Arsenal are closing in on a deal for £29m-rated striker Mario Balotelli.
Newspaper reports in recent days have claimed that we have made the Italian one of our key targets this summer and Arsene was reported to have met with his agent, Mino Raiola, in Brazil to discuss the finer points of a move after AC Milan agreed to sell him if an offer of £29m came in.
However, the boss appeared as a guest pundit for beIN Sports last night and was quizzed about increasing speculation suggesting Arsenal were in the advanced stages of sealing a deal to bring Balotelli to the Emirates this summer.
Former Chelsea and Holland midfielder Ruud Gullit was astounded that Arsene could be interested in a player that he calls ‘unmanageable’, and he sought to find out if the reports were true.
But the boss played down any suggestion he is in for the Italian, claiming it’s all been invented by the media or the players agent. Watch for yourself here:
Usually I’d say to take Arsene’s comments with a pinch of salt as he’s notorious for telling porkies to the media. He did deny knowing who Santi Cazorla was just days before signing, after all.
But just going by his body language and the way he said it, I’m starting to believe maybe the agent/papers have just caused all this speculation. I’ve always thought Balotelli wasn’t Arsene’s type of player, so was a little surprised by the links when they came about.
Obviously Arsene could be pulling the wool over our eyes again, but the more I think about it the more it’s looking like the players agent is using us to generate some interest because Balotelli want’s a move this summer.