- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
Arsenal Linked With Shock Swoop On Rivals – Report
Some fairly bizarre news coming from the Express today as they claim that Arsenal are lining-up a shock £7m bid for Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic.
The newspaper suggests that Arsene Wenger isn’t going to sanction the sale of Thomas Vermaelen until he’s found a replacement and Ivanovic has supposedly emerged as his top target.
Vermaelen is expected to leave this summer as he only has one year remaining on his contract and with him currently not in Arsene’s starting eleven, understandably he want’s out with Manchester United strongly linked.
That leaves us needing a new third choice centre-back and with Bacary Sagna off to Man City, we also have a void to fill at right-back, and the Express claim that the boss wants Ivanovic to cover both positions and he’s ready to test Chelsea’s resolve with a £7m offer.
Silly season really has arrived. This has to be one of the most unlikely transfer rumours so far this summer. Jose Mourinho wouldn’t let us have Demba Ba on loan so why on earth would he sell us one of his most reliable defenders? And for just £7m? Ivanovic is worth twice that, at least.
Don’t get me wrong, I think he’d be an excellent signing. He’d be a solid right-back who could cover in the middle when needed, but it’s simply never going to happen.