- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Are Arsenal Making A Mistake With This €12.5m Striker Deal?
Reports today suggest that Arsenal have finally struck a €12.5m deal with Real Sociedad to remove our buy-back clause for Carlos Vela.
There has been a lot of speculation in recent weeks surrounding the future of Vela with initial reports suggesting we would trigger our €4m buy-back clause that was inserted into his contract when we sold him two years ago.
Subsequent reports claimed that we would use the buy-back clause as a bargaining tool to land Antoine Griezmann, but those rumours appear to have died down and now we’re supposedly just trying to sell the clause.
It appears things are now reaching a conclusion as the Daily Star are citing reports coming from Spanish outlet Marca that claim a deal has now been reached that will see Sociedad pay us €12.5m (£10m) to remove the buy-back clause from Vela’s contract.
Obviously it remains to be seen how much truth there is in this latest report, but it seem inevitable that we’ll pass up the opportunity to re-sign Vela and i’m just wondering if it’s the best option.
The Mexican has really blossomed in Spain and scored 16 goals and provided 12 assists last season. Those are some impressive figures and if you took away his name and went on just the stats, I’m sure many more fans would be excited about the possibility of buying him.
Lets face it, the 25-year-old would be an absolute steal at €4m and he’d be able to fill two positions in the squad we need to strengthen; a striker and a pacey wide man.
Obviously selling the buy-back clause for €12.5m is shrewd business if Arsene still doesn’t think Vela can cut it in the Premiership, but it’s vital the boss uses the money to bring in some top talent. There’s no point passing up the chance and just banking the money we make from the buy-back clause. Money is the last thing we need!
While I personally think bringing Vela back should be given some serious consideration, I’d be more than happy to pass it up if the boss went and signed Alexis Sanchez or Pedro, but I’m just not convinced we’re going to see that caliber of player signed this summer, no matter how much money we have in the bank.
If Arsene is just going to have a speculative punt on some winger from Ligue 1, then i’d sooner we signed Vela….