- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Heading For Arsenal? 26-Goal Striker Clears Out Locker Ahead Of Move
Arsenal target Mario Mandzukic has cleared out his locker and said his goodbyes after a bust-up with Pep Guardiola that will see him leave Bayern Munich this summer, according to reports.
The Croatian hitman has been strongly linked with a move to the Premier League in recent months with both Arsenal and Chelsea understood to be interested in offering him a fresh start in England.
Mandzukic was already being tipped to leave Bayern this summer when Robert Lewandowski arrives but any hopes that he might stay evaporated after a furious bust-up with Guardiola in the dressing room following the German giants 4-0 loss to Real Madrid in the Champions League.
Guardiola responded to the confrontation by axing the 27-year-old from the squad that beat Dortmund 2-0 in Saturday’s German Cup final and told the striker “goodbye, and good luck with your next club”.
The papers claim Mandzukic has now cleared out his locker and said his goodbyes in preparation for a move this summer. So, could he be heading to Arsenal?
We’re certainly looking for a top class striker this summer and while Mandzukic may have his limitations, he’s still proven to be an very good target man in recent seasons and his goal-scoring record isn’t bad either, with 48 goals in 88 appearances for Munich.
If we’re only going to sign one striker, I’d personally prefer to see us bring in someone a little more different to Giroud. A player with raw pace and is an out-and-out goal-scorer. Loic Remy at £8m would be a better buy than Mandzukic at £20m, in my opinion.
However, if Arsene is planning on sending Yaya Sanogo out on loan and then signing two strikers, I’d happily see Mandzukic come in as he has pedigree and would offer some real competition to Giroud.