- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
First Summer Signing Done? Arsenal ‘Sign 20-Goal Striker’ – Reports
Some interesting reports are doing the rounds this evening claiming that Arsenal have activated a buy-back clause to re-sign Carlos Vela for just £3m.
The Mexican was on Arsenal’s books for six years between 2005 and 2011 but made just 62 appearances during that time – scoring 11 goals – before making a £2m switch to Real Sociedad.
But Vela has been a surprising hit in La Liga over the past three years and has really found his form this season where he’s scored 20 goals and provided 13 assists to help Sociedad push for a sixth-place finish.
However, widespread reports both in Spain and the UK claim that Arsene Wenger has activated a buy-back clause that was inserted into the strikers contract when we sold him, that states we can re-sign him for just £3m.
The Metro suggests that Wenger want’s to see how much Vela has progressed in pre-season training and if he still doesn’t feel he’s up to the Arsenal standard, then he’ll simply sell him on at a vast profit.
There have been suggestions in Spain that the likes of Atletico Madrid and Valencia are keen on keeping him in La Liga and could be willing to pay up to £20m for his services, so it would be a shrewd bit of business if we did decide to cash-in straight away.
It’s pretty-much a win-win. If Vela impresses the boss enough, we’ve bagged ourselves a 20-goal a season attacker for just £3m. If not, then we can turn a quick profit of around £17m.
There is of course the possibility Vela could turn down the move back to north London, but that’s unlikely as he hinted last month that he feels he’s ready to prove his worth in England and would be open to returning to the Emirates.
It’s obvious we need to strengthen our attacking options this summer and Vela would be a useful player to have in the squad as he can play anywhere across the front-line, has bags of pace and an eye for goal.
But whether he’s ready to do the business in the Premier League is another question and one that Arsene is going to have to answer this summer if these reports are proved accurate.
Do you think Vela would be a good signing?