- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Wenger: There Will Be No Early Signings This Summer
Arsene Wenger has warned fans not to expect any of our transfer business to be done before the World Cup.
The boss was speaking at his pre-match press conference ahead of Sunday’s final league game against Norwich City and was quizzed by reporters about his plans for the summer.
Many frustrated fans are hoping that Arsene is ready to go out and spend big after seeing us throw away an excellent opportunity to win the title this season and a whole host of top players have been linked in recent weeks.
However, speaking to Arsenal.com, the Frenchman has claimed that there will be very little action in the transfer market before the World Cup kicks off in mid-June, and that’s not just at Arsenal, but at all clubs. He said
“Honestly, in my experience in a World Cup year, it [business] has never been done early,” he said.
“Everybody is focused on the World Cup. At the moment you can do nothing because the season is not over. We are today, the 8th of May. The 12th of June is the first World Cup game.
“The Champions League final is on the 24th of May and basically two weeks later it is the start of the World Cup. It is unbelievable. There is no time between the end of the season and the start of the World Cup. Nobody will do anything before the World Cup starts.”
I’m not too sure I totally agree with Arsene on this one. No doubt there will be much less activity done early and signing players will be more difficult, but I’m sure we’ll still see some big moves made, and it will be the clubs who have a clear plan and have already been working on the deals for weeks that will be successful in getting their business done early.
The problem is, Arsene is known to be indecisive in the transfer market and this won’t help with regards to us bringing players in early. He likes to react to what’s happening in the market rather than just go all-out for his top targets.
I’d love to see us just make a REAL effort to land the likes of Lars Bender, Diego Costa or even Edinson Cavani. Just go in with a realistic offer and force them into a decision. Don’t take no for an answer, just put an offer in that will be too good to refuse. We know we have the money available, but the problem is Arsene just won’t do it.
So it looks like we’re in for another frustrating summer that will most likely end with a late scramble during the final couple of weeks in August. And to think some thought this summer would be different…..