- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
Wenger Eyeing Move For Dutch International
According to reports today, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is eyeing a move for Ajax defender Joel Veltman as he prepares to replace Thomas Vermaelen this summer.
Unfortunately, Vermaelen is widely expected to seek a move away from the club at the end of the season after losing his first team place over the past 18 months.
I’d love to see him stay on as there aren’t many better third choice centre-back’s around but he isn’t going to be short of offers from other top European clubs and with the Belgian now 28, he’s at the peak of his career so you can’t blame him for wanting regular first team football.
That’s not something he’s likely to get at Arsenal with Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny forging an impressive partnership at the back, so it looks like Arsene’s going to have a void to fill this summer.
The Telegraph claim the boss has identified Ajax centre-back Joel Veltman as a possible replacement after the 22-year-old impressed scouts this season.
Veltman is a regular in the Ajax first team that’s won four league titles in a row, and he broke into the Dutch squad last last year after being given his debut by Louis van Gaal against Colombia.
However, we’re not the only one’s in for the player as Tottenham are also understood to be interested as they line-up potential replacements for Jan Vertonghen – who is tipped to force a move away from White Hart Lane.