- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
Arsenal Make Offer To Danish International – Report
Arsenal have offered Kasper Schmeichel a chance at the big-time with the Danish goalkeeper set to walk away from Leicester City on a free transfer this summer, according to recent reports.
Schmeichel – son of Manchester United legend Peter – has played a key role in helping the Foxes gain promotion from the Championship this season.
However, his contract is up this summer and is looks as though he’s ready to leave the club on a free transfer after failing to agree terms over an extension.
The Express are one of several newspapers who are reporting that Arsenal are leading the chase for the 27-year-old’s signature and have offered him the chance to join the club and compete with Wojciech Szczesny for the No.1 shirt at the Emirates next season.
AC Milan and Southampton are also interested, but neither will be able to offer Champions League football and it will surely be difficult for the keeper to turn down a move to a club like Arsenal.
However, with Lukasz Fabianski leaving this summer when his own contract expires, Schmeichel would almost certainly come in as our new No.2, and it remains to be seen whether he’ll accept playing second-fiddle to Szczesny.
The players agent, Kenneth Shepherd, has refused to be drawn on the speculation surrounding his client but Leicester boss Nigel Pearson hasn’t given up hope of persuading him to stay, saying:
“When you prove that you are a capable and stable keeper through two difficult seasons in the Championship, you will be in demand.
“But Kasper knows what he gets from us, and the important role he has in the Premier League. We can only hope that makes the difference.”
I’d happily see Schmeichel come in on a free this summer as I think he’s a useful keeper with huge potential, but he’s not ready to be our first choice yet. He has no experience at the top level, other than 3 caps for Denmark, so he’s not going to replace our Pole in goal anytime soon. So he’ll have to be patient and bide his time if he accepts a switch to North London this summer.