- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
Arsenal Set To Bid For Wenger’s ‘No.1 Transfer Target’ – Report
Arsenal are ready to table another offer for Lars Bender after Arsene Wenger made the Bayer Leverkusen midfielder his No.1 transfer target this summer, according to reports today.
Bender has been on Arsene’s radar for some time and we were widely reported to have seen an £18.5m bid turned down by Leverkusen last summer.
However, we’ve continued to have the 25-year-old scouted this season and the Daily Mail claim the boss is ready to make another attempt to land the defensive midfielder after making him his No.1 transfer target this summer, and the club believe Leverkusen may now be ready to cash-in.
A midfield enforcer has become a top priority with Mikel Arteta beginning to show his age and his lack of pace and athleticism has been badly exposed in the big games this season, and Arsene believes Bender is the ideal candidate.
It’s not clear what kind of offer we’re going to submit this time around but it will need to be at least £20m to persuade Leverkusen to sell and I hope we try and get a deal done before the World Cup kicks off in mid-June.
We have the money to spend this summer so there’s no excuse not to go out and get our business done early, and Bender would be a superb first signing. If we could bring him in along with a top quality striker, a replacement for Bacary Sagna (if needed) and a few squad players then we’d be well-placed heading into next season.