- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Wenger ‘Determined To Spend Big’ On 5 New Signings – Report
Widespread reports today are claiming that Arsene Wenger WILL sign a new deal at the end of the season and is already making plans to spend at least £70m this summer.
The bosses future has been cast in doubt after our capitulation in recent months with some suggesting the 64-year-old could be set to call it a day after 18 years at the helm.
However, the Mirror are one of several newspapers who are reporting that the Frenchman has now decided he will definitely be signing a two-year extension and hopes to do it after we end our trophy drought by beating Hull in the FA Cup final next month.
Obviously it will turn out to be a well-timed announcement if we win the cup and have secured fourth place, but I’m not sure how well it will be received by some sections of the Arsenal support if we fail to achieve either of those targets.
Either way, it seems Arsene is set to stay and will be given at least £70m to spend this summer and he’s ‘determined to spend big’ on five new players. A new goalkeeper to support Wojceich Szczesny will be required as Lukasz Fabianski is leaving when his contract expires in June, while a right back may also be needed if Bacary Sagna also walks away this summer and Southampton’s Calum Chambers is among those being watched.
Predictably, a big-name striker is on the agenda and the Mirror claim Bayern Munich’s Mario Mandzukic is on Wenger’s hit-list while a pacey winger will also be pursued with Real Sociedad’s Antoine Griezmann being closely monitored.
The final position the boss wants to strengthen is central midfield and the report states that we’re interested in signing Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley. I’m not sure who their ‘sources’ are but I’ll eat my hat if we sign him!
It’s fair to say that those five positions all need strengthened this summer, although the need for a right back will depend on what Sagna’s decides. The one area the Mirror failed to recognise is centre-back and I’ll be majorly surprised if we don’t bring in at least one this summer. We only have three at present with Sagna our fourth-choice, and if Vermaelen AND Sagna leave we will need at least two central defenders this summer.
So it’s going to be a busy few months in the transfer market over the summer and I hope we can get our business done early. What players would you like to see us sign this summer?