- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
‘Mesut Ozil Is A Serious Target For Barcelona, They Will Bid £30m’
A so-called Spanish football ‘expert’ has told talkSPORT this morning that Mesut Ozil is a ‘serious’ target for Barcelona and the Catalans will make a bid of around £30m for the playmaker this summer.
Ozil has come under an absurd amount of criticism following his £42.5m move from Real Madrid in the summer, with several newspapers targetting him for rough treatment at any given opportunity.
While the 25-year-old has been labelled a ‘flop’ by many, it seems he can’t be that bad a player as Barcelona’s own TV station have reported that the Spanish giants want to buy the German international this summer after having their transfer ban suspended.
Spanish pundit, Paul Breen-Turner, was on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show on talkSPORT this morning where he claimed that Ozil came close to moving to the Nou Camp in 2011 and believes Barca will try their luck again with a £30m bid at the end of the season:
“He was close to joining them in 2011. Ozil is a very serious target for Barcelona and they will make a move.
“They’re talking about a figure of £30million, although I can’t quite believe Arsenal would even consider.”
It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if Barcelona want Ozil because, contrary to what the British media would have you believe, he’s still one of the best players in the world.
However, I’m not getting too worried just yet. Mesut seems content in London, has a contract with Arsenal until 2018 and we certainly wouldn’t even consider selling him for £30m, so this is a non-story for me.