- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsenal Linked With €30m La Liga Hitman
Reports today are once again linking Arsenal with a move for Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema.
Arsene Wenger is a known admirer of the Frenchman’s and tried to sign him when he left Lyon for Real Madrid back in 2010. However, while we missed out on his signature that summer, he has constantly been linked with a move to the Emirates after failing to really establish himself as a vital member of the Spanish giants squad.
The notoriously difficult to please Bernabeu crowd have singled out Benzema for rough treatment on several occasions in recent years. The jeering almost saw him quit last summer, when he was once again linked with Arsenal, but Carlo Ancelotti decided to give him another year to try and win over the fans.
However, despite scoring 23 goals and providing 14 assist this season, the 26-year-old has still been on the wrong end of some taunts from his own supporters and the Express newspaper reported yesterday that Madrid are ready to cash-in on the striker to help fund a move for Luis Suarez.
The report suggests that Arsenal are the favourites to sign Benzema and now the Metro are also claiming that we will go back in for the striker this summer, with Arsene Wenger finally set to bring in a top class front-man (if he signs a new contract!).
Benzema has just 12 months left on his current contract so it’s understood Madrid will only demand around €30m (£25m) for his services, which would be something of a bargain for a player of his quality and experience in today’s market.
The former Lyon man has scored 110 goals and provided 62 assists in 229 appearances for Real, which is an impressive return for a player that’s often deemed as a ‘flop’ by his own supporters. We could certainly do with that type of goal threat in our attack and I think he’d be a great focal point for the likes of Mesut Ozil, Santi Cazorla and Theo Walcott to work off.
He is 6ft 2″, so has the physical presence needed to spearhead our attack, is good with the ball at his feet, has pace to run in behind and has a great goal-scoring record, so I would love to see Benzema finally join Arsenal this summer.