- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
“Lots Of Clubs Want Him, Including Arsenal”
Santi Cazorla has claimed that Arsenal are interested in signing Iker Casillas and the out-of-favour Real Madrid goalkeeper has enquired about life in England.
Casillas was once regarded as the best goalkeeper on the planet but sensationally lost his place in the Madrid first team after a fall-out with then boss Jose Mourinho last season. The ‘Special One’ signed Diego Lopez in the 2013 January transfer window and immediately made him his No.1, consigning Casillas to the substitutes bench.
The Spanish international’s situation was expected to change when Mourinho left but his replacement, Carlo Ancelotti, surprisingly stuck with Lopez as the clubs first choice. While Casillas has failed to make a single league start this season, he has kept goal in the Champions League this season, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to be enough to satisfy him.
Cazorla has revealed that the 32-year-old stopper is considering his future at the Bernabeu and has asked about life in England, while the playmaker has also claimed that Arsenal are among the clubs interested in signing him and he’s tried to persuade his compatriot to make the move to North London.
“I’ve told him [I would like him to join Arsenal], but so far he has just been curious about my experience in England,”
“His [Casillas] situation is very complicated, but he has to make a decision.
“Lots of clubs want him, including Arsenal, but I think that it would be very difficult to leave Real Madrid because of what the club represents.
“He knows what he has [at Madrid] and what he could find at another club.” Cazorla told Sport 360.
Arsenal are almost certainly going to be in the market for another goalkeeper this summer with Lukasz Fabianski leaving when his contract expires and Emiliano Viviano expected to return to Italy when his loan runs-out in June.
Until now, I’d thought we must be looking for a back-up to Wojceich Szczesny but I’m not sure we could resist if a player like Casillas became available. Szczesny has certainly improved this season and I’ve no doubt he’ll go on to become a top quality keeper, but he’s not at the level of Casillas yet and we’d be fools to pass up the chance to sign him if the opportunity arose.
Would you sign Casillas this summer? Or would you stick with Szczesny?