- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
Report: Vieira Could Replace Wenger This Summer
There was an interesting report in the Mirror over the weekend that claimed Arsenal chiefs are considering approaching Patrick Vieira to replace Arsene Wenger should the boss quit the club this summer.
Wenger’s contract is up in June and until recently, it was considered pretty much a ‘done deal’ that he would be signing an extension. However, following our humiliation at Stamford Bridge nine days ago, speculation has been intensifying that the Frenchman is now giving serious thought to ending his 18-year stay in north London.
The Mirror claim that the French Football Association is set to make Arsene a very tempting offer to take over the national team after this summer World Cup with the aim of him taking them into Euro 2016 – which will be held in France.
While Arsene has given the Arsenal hierarchy his word he’ll stay on IF he feels he’s still the right man for the job, managing the France national team has always been an ambition for him and the chance to lead your country into a home tournament doesn’t come around all that often.
I still believe Wenger will sign a new deal if we finish fourth and win the FA Cup, as that would be seen as progress, but failure to achieve either of those goals could see him decide to walk away.
It seems the Arsenal chiefs are already making plans for his possible exit with the Mirror claiming that Patrick Vieira is a surprise candidate to replace his former mentor.
Vieira is currently doing a fine job coaching the Manchester City under-21′s and is already catching the eye of several top European sides, but the opportunity to manage Arsenal would surely be too much for the Gunners legend to resist.
If we did go for Vieira, it would be a HUGE gamble due to his lack of experience managing at the top level, but the newspaper suggests the club would bring in an experienced director of football to work alongside Vieira – who would be appointed as head coach.
I’m sure City would do all they could to hang on to him but the former Arsenal skipper would surely jump at the chance of returning to North London, and I think it would be an exciting appointment.
Other names that have been thrown about are Dortmund’s Jurgen Klopp and Everton’s Roberto Martinez, and I’d be happy with either of those as well, should Arsene leave this summer.
Do you think Arsene will leave this summer? Who would you like to replace him?