- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
Sagna Breakthrough? Arsenal Finally Offer Frenchman A 3-Year Deal
We could finally have had a breakthrough in talks with Bacary Sagna with reports today claiming that Arsenal officials have offered the Frenchman a three-year extension.
The right-back’s contract expires at the end of the season and we’ve been in negotiations with the 31-year-old over a new deal for months, but talks have been at a stalemate with the club only willing to offer him a two-year extension, while Sagna has been holding out for three more years.
With the likes of Manchester City, Inter Milan and Galatasaray all believed to have offered at least three-year deals, it’s been looking increasingly likely that Sagna would be leaving this summer.
However, the Mirror are reporting today that Arsenal chiefs have decided to break club tradition and offer the defender the three-year deal he’s been demanding. The newspaper suggests that Arsene Wenger has bent the rules as he’s desperate to keep hold of Sagna and wants to reward him for his loyalty over the years.
The boss confirmed at his press conference on Friday that an offer was on the table and he was confident the French international would stay.
“He (Sagna) has an offer, he has not come back to us yet.”
“I’m confident he will stay but we will accept his decision. No matter what his decision will be, we will accept it and go on with it.”
He also hinted that they were willing to break the ‘rule’ of only offering one-year extensions for players over 30, particularly for defenders.
“Look not for the defenders no. It depends. It’s a general law in our club yes. But after it’s not a stupid law, we look at individual cases and we adapt it to the individuals.”
Hopefully this report is accurate as losing Sagna would be a huge blow. If we have offered him a three-year deal and he still rejects it in favour of joining one of our domestic rivals, then it would be a major slap in the face.
I personally think he’ll sign if we give him three years, as he’s turned down moves to the likes of City and Real Madrid in the past, so he’s unlikely to jump ship when we look like we’re going to start competing for trophies again.